YUMIX creates premium on-the-go cocktails which are packaged in a dual chambered bottle that separates quality spirit from a juice mixer.
After years of working in the beverage industry and coming to the realization that there were no ready-to-go cocktails on the market, YUMIX founder, Alex Garner, set out to disrupt the market. He brought the concept to PTI to find the right geometry and bottle weight to keep the dimensions within the appropriate tolerances so that the snap fit that connects the bottom container, which contained alcohol, to the larger top compartment, which contained the mixture. PTI was tasked with creating a package that evoked an exciting consumer experience, while also protecting the attributes of the juice and alcohol to create the ideal cocktail when mixed.
PTI needed to come up with the right geometry and bottle weight to keep the dimensions within the appropriate tolerances so that the snap fit was consistently achieved, but yet the containers could be easily separated by the consumer. Ribs, instead of vacuum panels were used to add the necessary structural stability without compromising the aesthetics. The two bottles are produced via standard reheat stretch blow molding technology. Refitting the two parts together was a custom solution. The alcohol container was also a challenge to create because it was so short and wide compared to the size of the 20mm finish. To develop this bottle, a tiny preform was developed to blow the bottle.
- This project was a great success because the client was willing to increase the weight of the package just to eliminate the core issue. PTI was able to avoid that and improve bottle design by reducing the weight by 20% while making the package 40% stronger.
- More ergonomic and stronger grip design and bottle.
- Significantly improved processing.
- Improved top load performance by 40%.
- The redesign lead to reduced corrugate weight requirements.